Homepage of Zhou
Mo Zhou, Ph. D.
Assistant Professor of Forest Economics
Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, Purdue University
715 W. State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47906, USA
E-mail address: mozhou(at)purdue.edu
2001 – 2005 Ph.D. in Forestry (Forest Economics and Management), University of Wisconsin-Madison
1998 – 2001 M.S. in Forestry, Technical University of Munich (TUM), Germany
1994 – 1998 B.S. in MIS in Forestry, Beijing Forestry University, China
1. “Forest biodiversity and timber price volatility".
2. “Examining the relationship between biodiversity and economic prosperity in global forests”. With GFBI.
3. “Risk management of multi-stand forests under threats of diffusing fire”. With Liang, J.
4. “Multi-criteria management of central hardwood forest under climate and fire uncertainty with scenario-based models.” With Ma, W.
Full List of Publications
1. Zhou, M. 2017. “Valuing Environmental Amenities through Inverse Optimization: Theory and Case Study”. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management (Revision in process).
2. Buongiorno, J. and Zhou, M*. 2017. “Multi-criteria Forest Decision Making under Risk with Goal-programming Markov Decision Process models. Forest Science (Accepted). *Corresponding and co-first author.
3. Ma, W. and Zhou, M*. 2017. “Assessments of Management Impacts on Central Hardwood Forests under Climate and Fire Uncertainty”. Forest Science (Revision in process). * Corresponding author.
4. Buongiorno, J., Zhou, M., Johnston, C. 2017. “Risk Aversion and Risk Seeking in Multi-criteria Forest Management: A MDP approach”. Canadian Journal of Forest Research (Revision under review).
5. Liang J, TW Crowther, N Picard, S Wiser, M. Zhou, et al.* 2016. “Positive Biodiversity–Productivity Relationship Predominant in Global Forests”. Science 354, Issue 6309. DOI: 10.1126/science.aaf8957. * 89 authors in total.
6. Barrett, C. B., M. Zhou, P. B. Reich, T. W. Crowther, and J. Liang. 2016. Forest value: More than commercial—Response. Science 354:1541-1542.
7. Ma, W., J. Liang, J. R. Cumming, E. Lee, A. B. Welsh, J. V. Watson, M. Zhou*. 2016. Fundamental Shifts of Central Hardwood Forests under Climate Change. Ecological Modelling 332: 28 – 41. * Corresponding author.
8. Liang, J., Watson, J. V., M. Zhou, X. Lei. 2016. Effects of Productivity on biodiversity in forest ecosystems across the United States and China. Conservation Biology. DOI: 10.1111/cobi.12636
9. Zhou, M. 2015. “Adapting Forest Management to Climate Policy Uncertainty: a Conceptual Framework”. Forest Policy and Economics 59, 66-74.
10. Liang, J., Zhou, M., Tobin, P.C., Reich, P., McGuire, A. D. 2015. Biodiversity Influences Plant Productivity through Niche-Efficiency. PNAS 112(18):5738-5743.
11. Buongiorno, J. and M. Zhou. 2015. Adaptive Economics and Ecological Forest Management under Risk. Forest Ecosystems 2:4 doi:10.1186/s40663-015-0030-y
12. Lee, E. Y. He, M. Zhou, J. Liang. 2015. “Potential Causal Effects of Recent Vegetation Changes on Summer Rainfall in the Sahel”. Physical Geography. DOI:10.1080/02723646.2015.1120139
13. Liang, J. and M. Zhou. 2014. Large-scale Geospatial Mapping of Forest Carbon Dynamics. Journal of Sustainable Forestry 33:S 104-S122.
14. Hand, M.S., Gebert, K.M., Liang, J., Calkin, D.E., Thompson, M.P., Zhou, M. 2014. The Economics of Wildfire Management: Development and Application of Suppression Cost Models. SpringerBriefs in Fire. 71pp.
15. Zhou, M., J. Buongiorno, and J. Liang. 2012. Bootstrap Simulation, Markov Decision Process Models, and Role of Discounting in the Valuation of Ecological Criteria in Uneven-Aged Forest Management. Continuous Cover Forestry. 2nd Ed. Springer. 296 p.
16. Zhou, M., and J. Liang. 2012. Modeling Alaska Boreal Forests with a Controlled Trend Surface Approach. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-157. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 299 p.
17. Zhou, M. and J. Buongiorno. 2011. Effects of Stochastic Interest Rates in Decision Making under Risk: a Markov Decision Process Model for Forest Management. Forest Policy and Economics 13: 402-410.
18. J. Buongiorno and M. Zhou. 2011. Further Generalization of Faustmann’s Formula for Stochastic Interest Rates. Journal of Forest Economics 17(3): 248-257.
19. Liang, J., M. Zhou, D. Verbyla, L. Zhang, AL. Springsteen, T. Malone. 2011. Mapping Forest Dynamics under climate change: a matrix model. Forest Ecology and Management 262: 2250-2262.
20. Liang, J. and M. Zhou. 2010. A Geospatial Model of Forest Dynamics with Controlled Trend Surface. Ecological Modelling 221: 2339-2352.
21. Zhou, M., J. Liang, and J. Buongiorno. 2008. Adaptive versus Fixed Policies for Economic or Ecological Objectives in Forest Management. Forest Ecology and Management 254: 178-187.
22. Zhou, M., J. Buongiorno, J. Liang. 2008. Economic and Ecological Effects of Diameter Caps: A Markov Decision Model for Douglas-fir/Western Hemlock Forests. Forest Science 54(4): 397-407.
23. Liang, J, J. Buongiorno, R.A. Monserud, E.L. Kruger, M. Zhou. 2007. Effects of Diversity of Tree Species and Size on Forest Basal Area Growth, Recruitment, and Mortality. Forest Ecology and Management 243: 116-127.
24. Zhou, M. and J. Buongiorno. 2006. Space-time Modeling of Timber Prices. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 31(1): 40-56.
25. Zhou, M. and J. Buongiorno. 2006. Forest Landscape Management in a Stochastic Environment, with an Application to Mixed Loblolly Pine-hardwood Forests. Forest Ecology and Management 223: 170 – 182.
26. Rollin, F., J. Buongiorno, M. Zhou, J.-L. Peyron. 2005. Management of Mixed-species, Uneven-aged Forests in the French Jura: from Stochastic Growth and Price Models to Decision Tables. Forest Science 51(1): 64-75.
27. Zhou, M. and J. Buongiorno. 2005. Price Transmission between Products at Different Stages of Manufacturing in Forest Industries. Journal of Forest Economics 11(1): 5-19.
28. Buongiorno, J. and M. Zhou. 2005. The Use of Markov Optimization Models in the Economic and Ecological Management of Forested Landscapes under Risk. Proceedings of the 3rd Iberian American Symposium on Forest Management and Economics and
11th Symposium on System Analysis in Forest Resources. Sep. 18 – 21, 2005. Luiz Carlos Estraviz Rodriguez. Série Técnica, 35(15): 47 – 57.
29. Zhou, M. and J. Buongiorno. 2004. Nonlinearity and Noise Interaction in a Model of Forest Growth. Ecological Modelling 180: 291-304.
30. Ince, P., X. Li, M. Zhou, J. Buongiorno, and M. Reuter. 2001. United States Paper, Paperboard, and Market Pulp Capacity Trends by Process and Location, 1970 – 2000. U.S. Forest Service Research Paper FPL-RP-602.